L.A. Fuess Partners Portfolio
IMAX Theatre at Fair Park Science Building
90,000 sq. ft.
90,000 sq. ft.
Addition of domed theatre structure and exhibit space to existing science museum. The 120-ft span dome of this theatre is constructed of a 4-inch thick concrete slab (for acoustics) placed on a corrugated metal deck surface. The primary structure consists of radial steel ribs (H-shapes bent to the curvature of the dome) and concentric rings of smaller channel shapes that support the metal deck. The roof structure is supported on reinforced, grout-filled concrete masonry walls 50 feet tall.
The plane of the theatre seating is tilted 30 degrees from horizontal and truncates the spherical dome of the overhead screen so that it is elliptical in plan. The perforated aluminum screen dome is supported on a concrete “ringwall” that surrounds and contains the seating risers which are constructed of cast-in-place reinforced concrete.
Underneath the seating is a complex arrangement of return air ducts and equipment rooms. Air conditioning filters down through the perforations in the screen from the attic above that also provides space for speaker platforms, catwalks, and lighting.
- Lancaster Public Safety Building
- South Dallas Police Station
- North Richland Hills City Hall, Court, & Public Safety Campus
- Moody Performance Hall
- Nantucket Memorial Air Rescue and Fire Fighting (ARFF) Facility
- Framingham Branch Library – Christa McAuliffe Branch Library
- American Airlines Alliance Maintenance Base Overhead Utilities System
- DFW Airport Terminal C/D Pedestrian Skybridge
- DFW Airport Terminal A/B Pedestrian Skybridge
- Stonebriar Mall
- American Airlines Wide-Body Maintenance Facility
- Silent Wings Museum